Forums

Miscellaneous

Forum bans

Posted in General

Enfield Rovers FC (Darren Ferguson) 10 May 2018, 10:18
Why does anyone that actually brings some fun to the forum end up “FORUM-banned”?

Whittall United (Grant) 10 May 2018, 10:20
Who do you speak of?

And theres rules, stay within them and everything is fine.

Enfield Rovers FC (Darren Ferguson) 10 May 2018, 10:36
Well, stalybridge Celtic is the most recent I’ve seen.

Yes, no doubt a rule has been broken, which is why I’m complaining about the muting system.
It’s clearly too strict and it puts a cap on what most people want to say, even if it is a bit edgy.

I, and many others, have had multiple comments removed. A couple of times I know I’m calling out the poster for whatever reason - but it’s never offensive or whatever. The mods obviously deem it “off topic”. Most forums I’ve been a part of allow some off topic chat outside of a designated “off topic” area. That’s what gives the whole community a sense of engagement and interest.

So many long term players complain about how dead the forums have become; maybe try loosening these rules a bit so we can all have a bit of fun and banter once in a while?

I understand if someone is being continually offensive or berating someone unfairly, but otherwise it is just such an unnecessary limitation to the community.

Whittall United (Grant) 10 May 2018, 10:59
Stalybridge Celtic adds nothing to these forums, nothing fun anyway, and gets away with quite alot imo. He gets plenty of chances.

What you may deem as not offensive, may not seem that way to others, without knowing evey single persons views on something, which is impossible without asking them, then rules must be followed to respect every person on the forums.

Theres a way of speaking without breaking rules, some like to push that.
If a comment is removed, then it was done within the rules.

If 1 rule is allowed to be broken, then where does it end? It doesnt, and there might aswell be none.

If people cant speak without breaking rules, then its more than fair to remove their right to speak.

If its friendly banter, then threads are left, its when people take it too far, someone has to step in.

Its not to strict, other people manage quite well to speak, have banter and not get banned, so why cant everyone?
The forums are used less because theres less people, its nothing to do with the rules.

I also think your issue has no basis, the last time a thread was closed for breaking forum rules was 10 days ago, and that was after the op had been told to stop making spam threads.
The next goes all the way back to Feb.

So what is it you're referring to?

Enfield Rovers FC (Darren Ferguson) 10 May 2018, 11:17
Whittall United wrote:
Stalybridge Celtic adds nothing to these forums, nothing fun anyway, and gets away with quite alot imo. He gets plenty of chances.

What you may deem as not offensive, may not seem that way to others, without knowing evey single persons views on something, which is impossible without asking them, then rules must be followed to respect every person on the forums.

If 1 rule is allowed to be broken, then where does it end? It doesnt, and there might aswell be none.

If people cant speak without breaking rules, then its more than fair to remove their right to speak.

If its friendly banter, then threads are left, its when people take it too far, someone has to step in.

Its not to strict, other people manage quite well to speak, have banter and not get banned, so why cant everyone?
The forums are used less because theres less people, its nothing to do with the rules.

I also think your issue has no basis, the last time a thread was closed for breaking forum rules was 10 days ago, and that was after the op had been told to stop making spam threads.

Your logic is pretty poor across the board. In any case, I’m Not even sure why I’m even replying because nothing will be done about it either way. Just as anyone’s issues with this game are equally ignored.

You say we don’t know what will or won’t offend a particular person, so the answer is to be as cautious as possible? Why not allow the individual to complain if they feel so offended by x y z? There are so many other options than to just remove the post outright. This kills general chatter.

And reading your views on the slippery slope of breaking rules shows me how poorly the forums are moderated. The slippery slope argument is pretty flawed as a concept. Again, in any case, I’m saying there is an issue with the rules... as in maybe the rules should be changed. Not break them; change them.

You’re distiguishing between friendly banter and what you and other moderators seem offensive. All you need is one mod who is overly sensitive to start pulling down posts.

Also, I Was talking about comments being removed. Not threads. I’ve had at least 3 taken down that were barely anything.

And saying the deadness of the forums is just due to less players is wrong.. I’ve been on forums with less people than are online on VM and the activity is 10-fold.

Enfield Rovers FC (Darren Ferguson) 10 May 2018, 11:25
Also, saying stalybridge “adds nothing” and that he’s had more than enough chances “imo” Is just that: your opinion. At least he’s bloody posting, whether you think it’s inane or not is irrelevant.

Arsenäl FC (International Quad Champion) Forum moderator 10 May 2018, 11:37
Whittall United wrote:

Perfectly said and correct.

Enfield Rovers FC (Darren Ferguson) 10 May 2018, 11:51
Arsenäl FC wrote:
Whittall United wrote:

Perfectly said and correct.
Another moderator incapable of considering different opinions.
"The rules are XYZ therefore that's that and no more shall be heard against it!"

Enfield Rovers FC (Darren Ferguson) 10 May 2018, 11:53
But obviously the game is perfect and doesn't need changing in any way.

Oh, no, sorry, it's dying a slow and painful death - but literally who cares, nothing will be done about it.

Whittall United (Grant) 10 May 2018, 11:53
You've been here 3 months going by your profile? Is this correct?

In that time nothing much has really happened, so please link to me all these issues you seem to have found.

You are a case in point why rules apply, "your logic is pretty poor across the board".
See we was supposed to be talking as adults, but you have to resort to silly comments like that, the point being some cant discuss without the nonsense, you as a prime example.

The rules are there for everyone, if you cant abide by them, except the consequences.

What you see as floored, has worked fine for many years, but as you seem to know better, please enlighten us all on your grasp of moderation, what sites do you moderate on?

You make assumptions about the use of the forums is low because of the rules, when i know for a fact its down to numbers that play the game, what other sites do is completely irrelevant to this one.

Regarding Stalybridge, if you have only been here 3 months, then you have no clue what you're talking about, its not my opinion on why he gets banned, its a fact.

If you dont like the rules as they stand, pop over to I/D and tell us how you would have the rules, you know because you know best.