Forums

Miscellaneous

"NOT WOMEN'S FOOTBALL" ... ???

Posted in Off Topic

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 8 July 2022, 23:14
Education required please ...

I have just watched Germany -v- Denmark in the Women's Euro 2022.

One of the rotating pitch side advertising hoardings was "NOT WOMEN'S FOOTBALL".

I am lost.

Why would anyone be suggesting that this isn't women playing when it so clearly is?

I presume this is some pressure group objecting to something? but who? why? and what is it they're objecting to?

Rookery Park (Matt Colley) 9 July 2022, 15:16
I think the point they're trying to make it's not "women's football" it's just "football", I'm not saying I agree but think about it, we don't refer to it as men's football for the most part, it's just football

Rangers FootbalI Club (PK) Forum moderator 9 July 2022, 17:01
Rookery Park wrote:
I think the point they're trying to make it's not "women's football" it's just "football"
Seems legit

Rookery Park (Matt Colley) 9 July 2022, 17:14
Giovanni Van Rangers wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
I think the point they're trying to make it's not "women's football" it's just "football"
Seems legit
Great input, cheers

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 9 July 2022, 18:35
Thank you, although I'm still a bit confused.
Why then is the tournament marketed as the UEFA WOMEN’S EURO 2022 if they want us to think it's all the same (- which obviously it just isn't).

As it happens I'm enjoying this more than I generally do watching the England men - who too often fail to "play properly" the way I want to watch - so this isn't some sexist thing from my point of view, but next time I buy a ticket to a match, I do want to know which team is playing. If that means calling the ladies game football and the men's game men's football then that's fine, but there does have to be a distinction, surely.

Rookery Park (Matt Colley) 9 July 2022, 21:41
Rookery Park wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
Seems legit
Great input, cheers
Jokes aside I don't really know what they're aiming for with the message, just trying to speculate possibilities as to potential reasons why

I think the message is meant to be a good thing, like they're trying to make a level playing field, it doesn't matter what gender you are, football is football and anyone can and should be encouraged to play

Rangers FootbalI Club (PK) Forum moderator 9 July 2022, 21:58
Rookery Park wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
Seems legit
Great input, cheers
Jokes aside I don't really know what they're aiming for with the message, just trying to speculate possibilities as to potential reasons why

I think the message is meant to be a good thing, like they're trying to make a level playing field, it doesn't matter what gender you are, football is football and anyone can and should be encouraged to play
Seems I missed the joke?! I was simply agreeing with that sentence. Seemed a legitimate point!

Rookery Park (Matt Colley) 9 July 2022, 21:59
Rookery Park wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
Seems legit
Great input, cheers

Seems I missed the joke?! I was simply agreeing with that sentence. Seemed a legitimate point!
Oh my bad I thought you were being sarcastic smiley

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 9 July 2022, 21:59
Rookery Park wrote:

I completely agree with that smiley , thank you.

So, whoever is behind this message needs to sort themselves out because it doesn't make sense or do their cause any good, IMO.

Rangers FootbalI Club (PK) Forum moderator 9 July 2022, 21:59
Rookery Park wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
Rookery Park wrote:
Seems legit
Great input, cheers

Oh my bad I thought you were being sarcastic smiley
No probs!