Forums

Miscellaneous

Imagine my shock!!

Posted in General

Final Whistle (join) 14 March 2021, 20:20
The Dark Carnival wrote:
Won the title last week so sold up and got a team of free transfers in so I could keep ticket money coming for a week or two.

The free transfers team in the top flight have been unsurprisingly absolutely battered every game... haven't scored a goal all season, conceded 95 in 28 games....zero points...

Until today.... scored not one, but two goals and won 2-1 away from home!

A team of entirely free transfers has just beaten a top flight team, away from home. I'm not sure that's ever happened before.

It's results like this that made me quit. I'm sure you've got no satisfaction and spent no amount of thought in setting up this tactic, while your opponent might have lost sponsorship of a few millions just because of the 3 lost points.
I don't agree that this kinds of results should be allowed to happen 'for diversity' and not to encourage boredom. Results in a football management game should be based purely on Knowledge/skill and investment into the game up to a certain point.
I won't congratulate you as I'm not sure this is something you played an active part in achieving. Randoms happen, let's not celebrate them more than a curiosity and like a glitch in the matrix.

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 14 March 2021, 21:53
Final Whistle wrote:

It's results like this that made me quit. I'm sure you've got no satisfaction and spent no amount of thought in setting up this tactic, while your opponent might have lost sponsorship of a few millions just because of the 3 lost points.
I don't agree that this kinds of results should be allowed to happen 'for diversity' and not to encourage boredom. Results in a football management game should be based purely on Knowledge/skill and investment into the game up to a certain point.
I won't congratulate you as I'm not sure this is something you played an active part in achieving. Randoms happen, let's not celebrate them more than a curiosity and like a glitch in the matrix.
Yep, I'm not claiming any kind of tactical wizadry or anything - this one was pure random chance. I know shocks do happen in real life, but almost never to this degree. It's like a non-league club beating a Prem club, it's more than a bit ridiculous.

Tangerine (Unknown) 15 March 2021, 21:01
Knocked out in first round of Newcomers challenge
https://www.virtualmanager.com/new_matches/84252484/summary

Arsenäl FC (International Quad Champion) Forum moderator 15 March 2021, 21:54
Club Tangerine wrote:
No shock here when you literally are playing with 9 men and 2 players playing on the sidelines!

Tangerine (Unknown) 16 March 2021, 00:32
Arsenäl FC wrote:
Club Tangerine wrote:
No shock here when you literally are playing with 9 men and 2 players playing on the sidelines!
I’m playing 5-3-2 and the only odd thing I know is that I was using a DM as DL

Liverpool Strikers (Jürgen Klopp) 20 March 2021, 15:18

I have to disagree. there are always shocks in football, teams winning with 10% posession.

There are always shock when Liverpool lost to Watford 3-0 last season

Final Whistle (join) 20 March 2021, 23:09
Club Tangerine wrote:
Arsenäl FC wrote:
Club Tangerine wrote:
I’m playing 5-3-2 and the only odd thing I know is that I was using a DM as DL
Forget real football, you need to understand how the VMAN match engine works.
the two WBs are useless, except if the opponent played some wingers(which don't exist). I've yet to find any offensive player that can be used that wide without penalty.(that would be a bug in my view, but regardles...)

So you'd be a lot better playing a diamond defence as I am instead of your 5 wide. Since the lower DC is blocking a lot of shots and having a second line of defence against better offensives.
I used it with more success against better teams than weaker when I've played in 1st div with 83+80 rated DCs against 90+ Forwards and managed to do quite well until last season when I got 2 red cards for my DCs and 6 match suspensions and so this didn't work anymore and got relegated smiley
Maybe you should try it. If not a classic 4 defense or even 3 DCs should be better(or 1 DC/DL/DR) if their level is higher

Johns Army (John) Forum moderator 28 March 2021, 16:23

Final Whistle (join) 30 March 2021, 20:14
Johns Army wrote:
What's interesting is that both goals came from errors from the opponent's defender or keeper.
Otherwise no one would have scored. Your DC tried dribbling his way out of the penalty box which is the stupidest thing in the tactics of VMAN ever. Also the goal you scored it's a pass from the opponent's keeper which is also dumb, as I'm assuming his passing is not in the 20 range... he's expected to kick it up higher in midfield, at least to WB if not ML/RL. Rarely in reality the keeper that's not under pressure passes to DCs.

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 30 March 2021, 20:24
Final Whistle wrote:
Johns Army wrote:
What's interesting is that both goals came from errors from the opponent's defender or keeper.
Otherwise no one would have scored. Your DC tried dribbling his way out of the penalty box which is the stupidest thing in the tactics of VMAN ever. Also the goal you scored it's a pass from the opponent's keeper which is also dumb, as I'm assuming his passing is not in the 20 range... he's expected to kick it up higher in midfield, at least to WB if not ML/RL. Rarely in reality the keeper that's not under pressure passes to DCs.
Firstly you clearly haven't watched norwich, or any other decent team playing it out from the back. Krul exclusively passes to our DCs.

Secondly, the match sim bears no relation to what happens in the game. Its pretty much just randomly generated after the result is determined. It's pointless watching it because there's no value to it at all.